Holy 2016!

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

Irock

Re: Holy 2016!

Postby Irock » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm living in the land of medical marijuana, obscene property values, and perpetually gorgeous weather. But I've become much younger in the pants.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 pm

That was fun while it lasted...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Recruitment drive!!!!
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:01 pm

I'm guessing you're getting as worn down as me (maybe more since I don't watch a ton of news) by the slogan tennis match going on. Does anyone think the name (only the name and not the content) "Black Lives Matter" may have been a strategic misstep? It seems to lead very directly to "All Lives Matter", "Blue Lives Matter" (not "White Lives Matter", yet). Wouldn't "Our Lives Matter" have been more powerful, especially in the context of a protest? How can anyone argue with that?

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I think "Our" could still be seen as co-optive.

I think this cartoon sums it up about as well as can be.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Actually, it was that specific cartoon that got me thinking about this. It explains the point nicely, but how many months did it take to get that idea out there and how many people have already made up their minds?

I don't know how they got their start, but I imagine they went through a series of ideas and BLM is the one that stuck, that got the strongest response from inside the group. They may not have thought through the most likely responses from their opponents. How much of the group/movements energy is going in to trying to clarify their message? How much energy have their opponents co-opted? I'm just thinking about the nuts and bolts of getting these sorts of things going.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 pm

That's a really interesting point, Sam. The Herstory over on the BLM's site has an interesting account of their message/movement and how it's been borrowed and changed.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 pm

That's a really interesting point, Sam. The Herstory over on the BLM's site has an interesting account of their message/movement and how it's been borrowed and changed.
There's a whole lot going on there that I'm completely unqualified to comment on. It is interesting that the word solidarity comes up toward the end after so many specifics about black identity. Seems like there is some inherent tension in those ideas.

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”