hobby lobby sucks

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

Phyllis

hobby lobby sucks

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 pm

this is the last thread about how much i hate a retail store (at least for a while). i went on a job hunt today and decided to check out hobby lobby. the rest of the story is copied-and-pasted from my facebook note. enjoy.

My first stop of the day was Hobby Lobby in Denton. It's right off the loop. As I enter the store there are signs plastered on every door, "Now Hiring! Looking for great people! yaddaddada!" So I am thinking, "Hey great, maybe I can actually get hired here." I was sorely mistaken.

At first I wasn't sure where to go or who to ask, but I found a saleswoman standing around so I asked her who I should talk to about applying for a job. She told me that the managers were standing not too far from us and she led me to them. One of them looked at me and said, "Can I help you?"

I said, "Yes I was hoping to apply for a job here." I didn't think this statement was out of line by any means. In fact, I was certain that the manager was used to these inquiries, considering the huge signs plastered all over the store about how they're looking for help.

He responded, very rudely, "We're not hiring." I was puzzled, to say the least.
"But there are 'Now Hiring' signs everywhere." I protested.
"Those are up there everyday. Every place puts those up. But we're not hiring."
Seriously, I was so fucking confused I didn't know what to say. Let me reiterate that this "manager" was being VERY rude and talking to me like I was a complete moron.
I said, "Can I at least apply?" he responded with a "Yeah, sure" in a very condescending manner.

Instead of applying I just stormed out of the store extremely pissed off. Not only do I not plan on working there but I definitely plan on never shopping there again. I'm going to call the customer service line and write a very strongly worded letter to the store. I hope this manager gets fired because he's a fucking twat. He treated me like a dog and I am a complete stranger. I can't even imagine how he treats his employees.

It's nice to know that in an economic recession businesses can still afford to alienate their customers.
n_n

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Re: hobby lobby sucks

Postby mr_j » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 pm

i mentioned this to a friend of mine just now, and he said make sure and look up the dallas-area office for Hobby Lobby. They run a *very* tight ship with management, and a thing like this would not go unpunished.

i don't think you should hold the store accountable; it's just one asshole.

also...and i mention this respectfully...but were you wearing piercings at the time? people tend to look at those things and instantly make up their minds about the person who has them.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:14 pm

i definitely plan on following up on this and doing whatever i can to make sure this guy receives some kind of consequence for his actions.

yeah i was wearing a stud in my lip at the time.
n_n

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:18 pm

it's probably a good idea to take out all piercings other than earrings when looking for a job. i recommend wearing something that looks like you'd wear to a job interview when you're going out to find work. it gives a good impression to those you are talking to; besides, you may be checked out by someone in authority when you do something as simple as asking for an application. by showing them that you're serious and professional by wearing, at least, business casual, then you've created something in your favor.

Irock

Postby Irock » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Wow, that guy sounds like a dick. And I'd like to support your ban, but Abby just texted me that Hobby Lobby has all frames on sale 50% off, so yeah.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Wow, that guy sounds like a dick. And I'd like to support your ban, but Abby just texted me that Hobby Lobby has all frames on sale 50% off, so yeah.
"i'd like to support your sense of social justice, but it's half-off this week."

mr 'gonna go there tomorrow and buy some Christmas gifts' j

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Normally I might agree with mr j that piercings are best covered or removed, but this is the 21st century...and most people that I encounter at stores/restaurants/etc. are sporting all sorts of stuff (hair/tats/piercings). Diana looks fairly innocent even with a piercing. I seriously doubt that's the reason (whole reason at least) behind the manager being a twat. But to be safe, you can always apply for a job at Hot Topic or a record store, which has to be cooler than a store called hobby lobby anyway. I spent my youth working in records stores and it was awesome. You know loads about music, so apply at some of them too (if you haven't already).

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 pm

it's probably a good idea to take out all piercings other than earrings when looking for a job. i recommend wearing something that looks like you'd wear to a job interview when you're going out to find work. it gives a good impression to those you are talking to; besides, you may be checked out by someone in authority when you do something as simple as asking for an application. by showing them that you're serious and professional by wearing, at least, business casual, then you've created something in your favor.
the piercing is still fairly new so i can't take the jewelry out for more than a few minutes or it will close up. also, i don't want to work at a place (at least not at the moment) that is going to have a problem with my piercing, which is why i wear it when i look for a job.

anyway, just because i have a piercing doesn't mean he can treat me like a dog. he can go fuck himself. i don't want to work for a fucking douchenozzle.
n_n

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Normally I might agree with mr j that piercings are best covered or removed, but this is the 21st century...and most people that I encounter at stores/restaurants/etc. are sporting all sorts of stuff (hair/tats/piercings). Diana looks fairly innocent even with a piercing.

you live in san francisco, not dallas. pedals1

and i'm not suggesting that she not wear them; i'm saying that, professionally, even though it's the 21st century, there are certain and appropriate times for attire and behavior. trying to get a job is not an appropriate time to wear piercings--just like it's not the right time to wear spandex, go braless, or be drunk.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 pm

the piercing is still fairly new so i can't take the jewelry out for more than a few minutes or it will close up. also, i don't want to work at a place (at least not at the moment) that is going to have a problem with my piercing, which is why i wear it when i look for a job.

anyway, just because i have a piercing doesn't mean he can treat me like a dog. he can go fuck himself. i don't want to work for a fucking douchenozzle.
Here here! Us holey people gotta start getting some respect.

(ya with us Katie?)
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 pm

i don't think hobby lobby has a problem with piercings (i've seen employees with them at all of the ones i've been to (tyler, longview, nacogdoches), and that's not what i'm saying: i'm saying that when you're on the job search, you don't wear them.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Normally I might agree with mr j that piercings are best covered or removed, but this is the 21st century...and most people that I encounter at stores/restaurants/etc. are sporting all sorts of stuff (hair/tats/piercings). Diana looks fairly innocent even with a piercing. I seriously doubt that's the reason (whole reason at least) behind the manager being a twat. But to be safe, you can always apply for a job at Hot Topic or a record store, which has to be cooler than a store called hobby lobby anyway. I spent my youth working in records stores and it was awesome. You know loads about music, so apply at some of them too (if you haven't already).
i agree. i see people with facial piercings and tattoos working at all kinds of places (especially in denton). i thought about applying to hot topic, but i am probably not pierced up enough for them.
i didn't even think of applying at a record store. i should apply at hastings. i'm sure they would greet me with open arms.

also i would just like to say this isn't dallas, it's denton. most places in denton are REALLY easy going about tattoos, piercings and funny colored hair. so i don't think this guy mistreated me based solely on my piercing, i just think he is an ass.
n_n

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Normally I might agree with mr j that piercings are best covered or removed, but this is the 21st century...and most people that I encounter at stores/restaurants/etc. are sporting all sorts of stuff (hair/tats/piercings). Diana looks fairly innocent even with a piercing.

you live in san francisco, not dallas. pedals1

and i'm not suggesting that she not wear them; i'm saying that, professionally, even though it's the 21st century, there are certain and appropriate times for attire and behavior. trying to get a job is not an appropriate time to wear piercings--just like it's not the right time to wear spandex, go braless, or be drunk.
yes, but it's not as if she's walking in with stretched ear lobs to her knees now is it. it's one lip piercing that is about as harmless as they come. She walked in handled herself appropriately (so it sounds). And I might have bought "you live in SF" but this isn't just resigned to SF now, it's everywhere...alt is the new norm. get used to it.

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 pm

also...and i mention this respectfully...but were you wearing piercings at the time? people tend to look at those things and instantly make up their minds about the person who has them.
This coming from the guy that wore a leotard to his interview.

Hey, Phyllis. Be glad you didn't get that job.

You'd be working for this guy.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:38 pm

ewww, mardel? the same guy who started hobby lobby started MARDEL? UGGGGGH. eff mart green.
n_n

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”