World Cup 2018

I thought about making it "shport" in general, but I really don't care about the others.

Moderator: aquaphase

sam
The Don

World Cup 2018

Postby sam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:47 pm

We're well into qualifying, so maybe this isn't too early. Plus Copa and Euro results bear on what happens next. Anyways, it sure seems like there is a crisis in experience coming up for the USMNT. The two midfielders that will be under 30 when WC18 starts have a total of 14 caps and one goal. The front and back are somewhat better, but Bradley losing the ball with another older, slower guy and two kids maybe out of position seems like a recipe for setting up counter-attacking chances.

Does any of that make sense? I'm trying harder these days to understand what this sport is all about.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby aquaphase » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:54 pm

I really see '18 as a "building" year for the US. I've really not been a fan of the squad for the past year and it totally sucks. I'm not sure if we need better/new leadership, or if the attitudes just need to change, but it's not been the most exciting team to watch recently. I really really want that to change ASAP.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:34 pm

If that's the case, then we've got to get leadership that will actually play youngsters.

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:03 am

England have to do something along the lines of installing a program similar to what USA Basketball did after they started losing medals. To be honest, I don't understand it. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again; England's only real tactic seems to be pick a bunch of names and put them on the field in a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. They destroyed teams in the qualifications rounds because they seemingly had a plan: if you were in form, you were in. If you were not, you weren't.

They abandoned this for the tournament though. They left Danny Drinkwater off the squad, arguably the most in-form played England had (note: he had rather a lot to do with Leicester City winning the title this year). Instead, they brought Jack Wilshere, who, for all his talents, only played one match for Arsenal because he was coming off serious injury. Not in form; how could he be?

Rightfully, Hodgson resigned as manager. They have to put a system in. There is very gifted talent and truth be told, they are easier to support than "the golden generation" (whatever that meant). They have the pace and ability to win games in multiple ways; they just need a system.

What I don't get is that the English FA doesn't seem to realise this.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 am

Am I right or wrong if I say, South America, outside of Brazil, seems to have a lot of hot teams now?

I don't know who to fancy in two years time. Just judging from the Euro's so far, Italy have shown up. France might have the young talent to do it. Belgium seem to be turning in to the new England squad for all their talent. Nobody wants to play Wales right now.

But trying to forecast that 2 years out is difficult.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Return to “Footie”