World Cup 2010

I thought about making it "shport" in general, but I really don't care about the others.

Moderator: aquaphase

katie

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby katie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:00 pm

wow just wow.

:]
+1
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

eebs

Postby eebs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Honda special - nice to see a freekick that didn't fly 600 miles over the bar!

roach

Postby roach » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Honda special - nice to see a freekick that didn't fly 600 miles over the bar!
then another one! I was thinking about this yesterday, there hasn't been too many free kicks for goals. They'll probably blame the ball.

ro"mls has been playing with that ball all season and there have been no complaints"ach

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Looks like Bocanegra and Bill post-gamed the same way we did.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

eebs

Postby eebs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 am

Don Capello had our lot on a session pre-game
“Yesterday evening they drank beer before the game. And I saw the team play with the spirit that we lost in the games we played before this game. The performance was really good and we created a lot of chances to score a second goal.

“This is the spirit that I remember when we played in the qualification games. I am really happy with the performance of the team. We played hard, we attacked the ball and this is important if we want to win.”
England solving problems with booze. Since 1966BC :]

katie

Postby katie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Looks like Bocanegra and Bill post-gamed the same way we did.
if they then ate a metric fuckton of food and passed out on a futon in mid-afternoon, i'd say the celebrations were damn near identical.
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

eebs

Postby eebs » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

roach

Postby roach » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 pm

looking forward to the Germany-Argentina match. I originally picked Argentina to go all the way, but I really like the Germans now. And the great thing about it is that in the end I don't care who wins as long as it's a good game...
And Brazil - Netherlands, damn.

ro"looking on the bright side???"ach

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Is the bright side that we are slowly but surely getting all of our MLS players back?

I seriously need a vuvuzela generator going to watch footie now. It's oddly just not the same without the drone.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

roach

Postby roach » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Is the bright side that we are slowly but surely getting all of our MLS players back?

I seriously need a vuvuzela generator going to watch footie now. It's oddly just not the same without the drone.
it's just odd and quite now, even the sold out game in Philly was "quite" and I had to work extra hard to tune out the announcers... there should be an app for that.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 am

I think this guy gets it closest:
What we don’t have in the U.S. is a large tradition of watching good soccer. And this hurts soccer’s popularity during the World Cup, and I suspect more generally, because soccer is a game that is mostly about flow. A game that is about flow is a game where elegant control of the ball-like object leads to the creation of chances to achieve the goal in the game; the opposing team stops them by interrupting them, and taking over. Soccer, basketball, hockey, and were I in the mood for a challenge I’d argue NASCAR (um, minus the ball bit), are games like this. Games of flow can be contrasted with games of plays, where one team tries to do something to get points, and the other team is defending. Football and baseball are games like this.
http://edgeofthewest.wordpress.com/2010 ... ccer-ball/

katie

Postby katie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 am

i dunno, i kinda disagree with that quote. in football, you can lose control of the ball-like object by throwing an interception or being sacked or whatever that totally fucks with the possession and the flow of the game. baseball i concede is a "we're on offense, you're on defense, and there's no changing it" kind of deal, but i don't think football is really.
dread stuff

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 pm

I think he is saying that there are discrete, identifiable plays in football. They might end in chaos, like an interception or fumble, but they start in an orderly fashion. The thing with plays is that each time you line up, you get a fresh comparison of the players. The more talented team has many more chances to benefit from it. I watched some of Salt Lake vs Chicago last night thinking about this. As an fairly inexperienced soccer spectator, I can sort of tell that they aren't as good, but I can't tell you why. It's hard for most of us to notice when three brilliant passes culminate in a missed shot as opposed to two crappy and one lucky pass culminating in a missed shot.

eebs

Postby eebs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Not long to go now - really not sure how this one is going to pan out. I'm biased towards Spain as I'm hoping for Villa to score one more than Schneider to get the golden boot.

Was strange being at a match yesterday without any buzzing in the background! And thinking that it was my first game of the 2010-11 season before the old season had ended for the 4 teams.

Return to “Footie”