Beckham question

I thought about making it "shport" in general, but I really don't care about the others.

Moderator: aquaphase

eebs

Beckham question

Postby eebs » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:24 am

this question popped up on one of my regular message board haunts and I wondered what the locals thoughts would be:

"surely it's better for the whole of US football if that 100 million or so was invested into improving the sport as a whole in America especially at a grass roots level and paying existing players better so younger kids are more likely to take up the sport rather than the more traditional American sports."

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:28 pm

it's not that easy. There are hundreds of good kids playing ball right now, but Americans just pay no attention to the MLS. I've talked to people right here in Dallas who had no clue that the MLS existed let alone Dallas having a team. I think this is the push that is needed, but I hope it doesn't push the league over the top like what happened with the NASL. Having the "Beckham Rule" paid for by private corporations is much smarter than pushing that solely on the league.

We'll see.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:05 pm

as a person that doesn't follow any sports. I think if you want americans to take notice, this is the way to do it. Everyone knows Beckham.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:23 am

I can't find any numbers to back this up, but I suspect Nike and Adidas have spent at least $100M to support developmental leagues, camps, etc. Even with a good supply of players, something has to grow the demand.

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:13 am

All we needed was a proper celebrity. The popularity should go up, although it'll probably still not come close to the belovedness of, say, football or baseball here. Although soccer games would make better afternoon television than something like golf...amirite?

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:48 am

Good lord yes. I mean golf on tv? Whose idea was that anyway?

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:36 pm

It's hugely popular here with kids. That's why we have "soccer moms".
But somewhere along the way there is a disconnection that takes place. It's around the middle school/high school age.

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm

But somewhere along the way there is a disconnection that takes place. It's around the middle school/high school age.
A lot of it has to do with "If I ever want to have a career in team sports, I better switch to one that pays" mentality. Beckham making that sort of cash might start keeping some of the prime athletes in the sport...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:34 am

A lot of it has to do with "If I ever want to have a career in team sports, I better switch to one that pays" mentality. Beckham making that sort of cash might start keeping some of the prime athletes in the sport...
That is really going to take some time. One of my co-workers son's skips his high school baseball team because it isn't nearly as well coached as his club team. Soccer is even further down the list. Still, seeing comparable money out there has to make a difference in some people's minds.

Return to “Footie”