Landy-cakes & Becky-poo sitting in a tree....

I thought about making it "shport" in general, but I really don't care about the others.

Moderator: aquaphase

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Will he actually be any good though? Do you think American crowds will be happy with him playing on the right wing crossing the ball (what he does best. still probably better than anyone else) or are they going to expecting hat tricks every game?

I think it is probably a good move for Beckham personally, he couldn't have gone back to England, and Inter Milan might have been a bridge too far at this point of his career. I'd have taken him at Celtic though, dunno what he would have thought of being kicked by the likes of Scott Wilson and Zander Diamond though...

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:29 am

Will he actually be any good though? Do you think American crowds will be happy with him playing on the right wing crossing the ball (what he does best. still probably better than anyone else) or are they going to expecting hat tricks every game?
I think the jackasses who thought a 15 year old Freddy Adu was the great savior will expect that, and his first season will be a circus. but I think in the long run it may bring some of the american soccer fans who think the league is a joke and only watch european leagues out to some games. It's also good for the league, they're only paying $400,000 of his salary. But they'll get the rewards of global television deals and what not.

lennon

Postby lennon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:33 am

the rumor here is that Ruiz is our "Bekham Rule" player.

We are so getting fucked in this deal.

kinda like we got fucked when landon donovan came back to the states.

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:02 am

shit I'm gonna make sure I get to one of his games now that he'll be playing round my way a bit more. he's beautiful. that's right...I don't care about footie itself...just want to gaze upon his loveliness. :P :lol:
see? instant marketing success.

Ja"of course, don't let him talk. it'll ruin everything"mes
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:04 pm

the rumor here is that Ruiz is our "Bekham Rule" player.

We are so getting fucked in this deal.

kinda like we got fucked when landon donovan came back to the states.
The thing is, I really really hate LA, so they deserve him.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:05 pm

First off I would like to joing the female contingent in saying "YIPPEEE".

Second off - for the average American potential-soccer-ticket-buyer it matters not whether he's good or not, since most of us haven't a clue what "right wing crossing the ball" even means. He's married to Posh Spice for cryin' out loud!

And thirdly, and this is a serious comment, my feeble understanding is that the best soccer players in the world play in Europe - the ones playing in the MLS are there because they're not good enough to play in Europe. If that is a fair statement, then my guess would be that Mr. Beckham will be more than up to the task of playing a competitive game with the lads in the States.

I'm guessing it would be much like Shaquille O'Neal deciding to up and play basketball in Italy for a princely sum of money - although his best days are most assuredly behind him, he's still heads and shoulders (literally) above anything they've got in Italy wearing a basketball uniform - and he would create a huge sensation and sell lots of tickets, and jerseys, and hats, etc. etc. etc. Ain't capitalism great!

Sy "does this mean Becks will be in FRISCO?" bil
Are you on the list?

eebs

Postby eebs » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:12 pm

sky sports have reported today that FC Dallas have been in talks with Edgar Davids for the past couple of weeks to be their 'Galactico'. Would be a good signing.

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:29 pm

to see LA play in Dallas this year you have to buy Season tickets, half season or a multi game package. no single game tickets will be sold to those games. smart move. cheapest package is 80$.

and dallas traded Vanney, this is one thing that needed to happen if they are going to sign Davids.

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:47 pm

to see LA play in Dallas this year you have to buy Season tickets, half season or a multi game package. no single game tickets will be sold to those games. smart move. cheapest package is 80$.
And they expect me to drive to FRISCO as well! I think not!

Sy "wouldn't pay hard earned money AND go to Frisco if Jesus Christ was making a personal appearance" bil
Are you on the list?

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 pm

And they expect me to drive to FRISCO as well! I think not!

Sy "wouldn't pay hard earned money AND go to Frisco if Jesus Christ was making a personal appearance" bil
you're already up in oklahoma ;)

it's not that bad of a drive from my house. get on the toll road where it begins, get off where it ends. about the same time it takes me to get to a rangers game... it's the drive home that can getcha. pedals1

eebs

Postby eebs » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:31 pm

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:50 pm

here's a good breakdown of the salary.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... 25&cc=5901

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:50 pm

here's a good breakdown of the salary.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... 25&cc=5901

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:52 pm

This will come back to bite them.

As for the Vanney trade, I have mixed feelings. Vanney was just turning into a decent player, but I am stoked to potentially have Davids. If they look at sending Cooper off, however, I'll throw my support behind Chivas.

(or maybe even the crapids)

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:53 pm

OMFK!!!! Mourinho is going to Inter?!?!?!?! Shits.

Return to “Footie”