Metal \m/

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

James

Metal \m/

Postby James » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:38 pm

So much for mellowing with age, I found myself listening to Iced Earth today. Sounded like a symphony to my ears...a very loud one. I've never been one of those "metalheads" or "freaks" as they were called in high school, but it should be noted I did play bass in a thrash metal band for a while.

I generally know the musical listening habits, but does metal come on to anyone's radar much?
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

sam
The Don

Re: Metal \m/

Postby sam » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 pm

I never had a very broad taste for metal and now it is just the occasional Metallica throw-back. I do still like it loud.

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Our roommate / renter is a big metal fan. I see the appeal of like - fast angry shit, but most of it really doesn't speak to me. He also listens to a few of these female-fronted screamo bands where they use that kind of vocal effect that basically destroys your vocal chords after a few years? IDK he's weird.

Oh! but does Tool count? Because I was pretty into them once upon a time.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't think Tool counts as metal but I'm not sure why.

James

Postby James » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 pm

And then I started listening to Joy Division and now I'm into Judee Sill...nothing lasts. I think people think Tool isn't metal because there's no horrible vocals. They do kinda transcend the label tho.

I still hate most metal. I got wind of some other "modern" goth metal groups and they were awful. I still have a headache from Burzum.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm

I remember hearing some buzz about The Sword a few years ago. They do have some awesome super-heavy riffs. Like so many other bands, they forget the AC/DC principle, if you do one thing really, really well, you don't have to do anything else. Not that I think AC/DC is that great, but they sure as hell stick to their sound and their fans love it. Maybe playing those songs does get old, but having huge crowds to play them to probably doesn't. I guess that is a bit off-topic.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”