Selling Out

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

ifihadahifi

Re: Selling Out

Postby ifihadahifi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 pm

I appreciate the fact that the older I get the less I could give a shit.

Perhaps that's selling out.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:32 pm

i think do we sort of expect it on some level of all artists.
Two specifics in mind. First, someone like George Clooney doing foreign ads that they don't want aired in the U.S. It is 100% about money for someone who already has plenty. No one holds this against him come Oscar time as long as the specific movie he is nominated for is perceived to have integrity. Second, Andy Warhol.
I appreciate the fact that the older I get the less I could give a shit.
I'm starting to feel that too.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 pm

The only selling out that really concerns me is the use of a "classic" in advertising. For example, the use of Shiny Toy Guns' version "Major Tom (Coming Home)" to sell Lincolns pretty much makes me want to barf, but I could care less if Phoenix does it.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:29 pm

The only selling out that really concerns me is the use of a "classic" in advertising. For example, the use of Shiny Toy Guns' version "Major Tom (Coming Home)" to sell Lincolns pretty much makes me want to barf, but I could care less if Phoenix does it.
OH OH OH! Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" In a FUCKING MERCEDES BENZ COMMERCIAL. I don't know who even got paid for the shit but I hope they choke on it.

Also: maybe ten years ago someone (Hillfiger? Gap?)used CCR's "Fortunate Son" but they only used the part that said, "Some people are born to wave the flag - ooh that red white & blue" and showed a bunch of partiotic looking people in red white and blue. FUCK. But you know, I assume Fogerty and co signed of on that so whatever. The Joplin thing is worse because she didn't get a say.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I assume Fogerty and co signed of on that so whatever.
Fogerty lost licensing control of CCR a long time ago. (At one point the controlling interests even sued Fogerty for sounding too much like Fogerty.) I'm sure he had nothing to do with it.

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I assume Fogerty and co signed of on that so whatever.
Fogerty lost licensing control of CCR a long time ago. (At one point the controlling interests even sued Fogerty for sounding too much like Fogerty.) I'm sure he had nothing to do with it.
Oh riiiiight, that's why I accidentally bought an album called Credence Clearwater Revisited or Revived or somesuch, and it was live recordings with a different singer. Either way, that commercial sucked. And so did that album.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 pm

I actually saw CC-Revisited play after an El Paso Diablos baseball game. It was way way sadder than seeing all the original guys from WAR.

(the band, not the hate group)
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

katie

Postby katie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Two specifics in mind. First, someone like George Clooney doing foreign ads that they don't want aired in the U.S. It is 100% about money for someone who already has plenty. No one holds this against him come Oscar time as long as the specific movie he is nominated for is perceived to have integrity.
true. but i think there's a difference perhaps in doing a goofy commercial in japan for some cash and writing and recording album of substance-free but commercially viable hits in order to cash in big. clooney isn't coming up with ideas and writing a script and putting a commercial for flowbee sweden out there as a piece of his art. he's just doing a commercial to advertise a product. maybe that is a double standard, though. i don't think actors get as much flak when they're in a commercial as musicians do when their music is used in a commercial.
Second, Andy Warhol.
i don't know enough about warhol to agree with or debate that point. so you're probably right.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

roach

Postby roach » Wed May 12, 2010 5:35 am

on the indie/college station for serius they just played the song from the gatorade commercial, "gatorade has evolved". by a guy called quinn, apparently full name is kermit quinn. is he a sell out? i assume making this song for gatorade then it getting play on the indie channel he is going the opposite way, kinda. it is a pretty damn catchy song and if you don't know the gatorade commercial you probably wouldn't know this.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Reminds me of Demolition Man when they sing all the 20th Century jingles like they are real songs, which also reminds me how bad that movie was.

Doesn't it seem enevitable that doing this kind of thing will reduce your ability to make good, non-commercial music? Then again, Kenny Loggins wrote I'm Alright, Footloose and Danger Zone. Barry Manilow wrote the State Farm, Stridex and Band-Aid jingles. Wait, what was my point?

roach

Postby roach » Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm

best jingle ever right now stuck in my head.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”