Cage the Elephant

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

monet2u

Cage the Elephant

Postby monet2u » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:29 pm

these guys are rockin' my world right now. omg they're good!

http://www.myspace.com/cagetheelephant

James

Re: Cage the Elephant

Postby James » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:02 pm

They were over here about six months ago on all the music shows. They gave really funny interviews. Wasn't overly impressed with their music though...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm partial to the whole southern bluesy rock thing, they do it well. reminds me of early White Stripes, KOL, the Features and others all rolled up into one. They've just struck a cord with me.

As far as I can tell there are a couple of brothers in the band and they grew up on a commune, which I hear sort of reflected in their songs (in an odd way). So I'm betting they would probably be quite funny/odd to listen to in an interview. Just read from a local radio dj who I have similar musical tastes and he said they were his #1 live show at SXSW. I know from past experience that's a tall order usually.

oh a side note, I'm finding it really interesting that many many US bands go to England and find some sort of success that then translates (if they're lucky) back home in the states. It's sort of too bad they can't seem to get enough exposure state side first.

James

Postby James » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:21 am

There you go then; my particular tastes don't care much for that genre as I don't like the White Stripes (although I think Jack White is one of the greatest guitarists of all time and I love the Raconteurs), Kings of Leon or The Features. Personal taste always plays a role...

The London to US success route has been going since Hendrix. And really it's good in theory. The US is simply too big for most bands to becomes successful right away (the ones that do generally become big regionally first and then keep expanding outward, but they aren't the norm). England is small (10 hours max between major gigging cities), has a large population and has students with money to buy your records and t-shirts (or they did anyway before the recession). The US is simply too spread out to get going on a national level right away, and the areas that matter most (east and west coast) are obviously the furthest apart.

Looking back, they did have one song I thought was pretty good...something about going in one ear and out the other...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”