at war with the mystics

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:57 am

Indeed. I must say I like Soft Bulletin much more than Yoshimi. I haven't heard the new one but will get hooked up with it tomorrow am.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:41 am

OK is bad. Lips are from OK. Lips bad.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

airboy paul

Postby airboy paul » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:04 am

i like it. it's different. it's not 'soft bulletin' part III. and that's a goodthing.

ps. i still have yet to hear soft bulletin.
Surely there's some logic missing between these two comments?

It's a shame that most flips fans seem to only have Soft Bulletin/ Yoshimi (and now perhaps maybe their latest bleh one), and not the four prior to Soft Bulletin as well. Especially considering their superiority to Mystics.
Although, actually I'm not especially disappointed with the album. I understand and accept that they want to try new stuff, it's just a shame that it didn't work for me. Besides, they were getting too popular for me :D

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 am

Besides, they were getting too popular for me :D
To me they will always be that weird band from up the road a while.
(When I lived in Denton, anyhow.)

This album has taken me a while to get into, but now its growing on me.

To be honest, I really love the older stuff more than the Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi stuff. In Priest Driven Ambulance is in my top albums of all time.

James

Postby James » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:21 am

i like it. it's different. it's not 'soft bulletin' part III. and that's a goodthing.

ps. i still have yet to hear soft bulletin.
Then how can you define the new album based on an album you admit you haven't heard? Is that not as lazy as the correct usage of "your" and "you're"? Or is it worse because it makes your research faulty?

I agree with you though, it's not The Soft Bulletin Part III. It could grow on me significantly.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Postby mr_j » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Then how can you define the new album based on an album you admit you haven't heard? Is that not as lazy as the correct usage of "your" and "you're"? Or is it worse because it makes your research faulty?

I agree with you though, it's not The Soft Bulletin Part III. It could grow on me significantly.
Even though I haven't heard it, I've heard a lot about it, and the descriptions of it make it clear that it's not really like any lips record before it. Plus, people said Yoshimi was good because it was/bad because it wasn't "Soft Bulletin pt. II" and I have heard that record. Considering how different it is from Bulletin/Yoshimi, I can simply deduce (though not qualify) that Mystics is not "Soft Bulletin pt. III"

James

Postby James » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Even though I haven't heard it, I've heard a lot about it, and the descriptions of it make it clear that it's not really like any lips record before it. Plus, people said Yoshimi was good because it was/bad because it wasn't "Soft Bulletin pt. II" and I have heard that record. Considering how different it is from Bulletin/Yoshimi, I can simply deduce (though not qualify) that Mystics is not "Soft Bulletin pt. III"
perhaps so, but as a journalist, particularly one of the stature of your website, I'd still expect you to have at least listened to it. I know you listen to a lot of music already, and I didn't mean to be nasty, if it came across that way. I just guess I expect everyone who's anyone to have at least heard "The Soft Bulletin".

By the way, the UK and US versions are different. I was listening to my wife's copy of it, and was a bit shocked when I got to track 4. That's not on the US version.

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:43 pm

i still have yet to hear soft bulletin.
For years, people have been asking, "What the hell is wrong with Mr. Joseph?"

I think I'm getting close to finally being able to put my finger on it.
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:46 pm

I love you, Joe, but that's retarded. That sounds like some shit I would say.

mdmusick

Postby mdmusick » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 pm

OK is bad. Lips are from OK. Lips bad.
That's a pretty fucking strong line of logic.

airboy paul

Postby airboy paul » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:55 pm

To be honest, I really love the older stuff more than the Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi stuff. In Priest Driven Ambulance is in my top albums of all time.
I don't quite like that album especially, but it's the one where they finally seem to be getting good. Everything after that album I do like. Other than that twenty minute + track of weird noise. Curse albums with those! :roll: :D

By the way, the UK and US versions are different. I was listening to my wife's copy of it, and was a bit shocked when I got to track 4. That's not on the US version.
Yup, US have Spiderbite, we have another song I can't remember the name of right now. And two extra versions of Race For The Prize/ Waitin' For A Superman. Which always seemed strange, yet not especially wrong.

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:17 pm

Yup, US have Spiderbite, we have another song I can't remember the name of right now.
Huhm. Is that in addition to Spiderbite, or instead of?

airboy paul

Postby airboy paul » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Instead of. Have only heard Spiderbite a little bit online somewhere I think. Our track 4 is Slow Motion.

James

Postby James » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:55 pm

Instead of. Have only heard Spiderbite a little bit online somewhere I think. Our track 4 is Slow Motion.
Plus Buggin' is at the end instead of track 5. The second versions of Race For The Prize and Waitin' For A Superman are the same ones, but they're not sub-titled re-mix or whatever it is on the US version.

It was a shock the first time I heard it. But it's still really good. I kinda like Buggin' at the end, but Spiderbite is a much better song.

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 pm

I kinda like Buggin' at the end, but Spiderbite is a much better song.
You say Spiderbite is a better song than Slow Motion?

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”