The Beatles

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

James

The Beatles

Postby James » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes, they've been talked to death, and not everyone likes them, blah blah blah...

But I don't care.

What's your favourite Beatles song?
What's your favourite Beatles album?

And why?

My favourite song is "A Day In The Life"; I think it's the greatest ending to any album ever. I also love it because it was actually written by Lennon/McCartney, and not just given credit to both of them like the vast majority of their songs. It has snappy moments and crazy moments, and a whole lot of beauty. And that ringing chord at the end is just awesome.

My favourite album is Revolver. They quit touring at this point to concentrate on records, and this was the first of these. Also, the subject matter of their songs really became diverse at this point. And so did the instrumentation. The closed microphone on strings recording on "Eleanor Rigby" was earth-shattering. But they still had a bit of sing-songiness (Dr. Robert).

And now you...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Sybil

Re: The Beatles

Postby Sybil » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Favorite album, without question, Sgt. Pepper. It's the only Beatles album I've ever actually owned. I even have it on picture disc. (for all the young'ns that's a vinyl record with the image of the album cover imprinted into the record, very cool imo). To me, that's the one where they quit being a boy band and became important musicians. Or maybe it's just because I was 13 and consumed by Beatlemania, and that record opened up musical stuff that my brain was ready for, who knows? For whatever reason, I find that one to be their masterpiece, every single song greatness.

When I was a kid, and I would go over to my friend Carol's house and listen to Sgt. Pepper's every single day of the summer of 1967, I was particularly taken with "She's Leaving Home". That song still stirs up something for me, in that way that only a favorite old song can. So I guess that one's my favorite.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:30 pm

YES, I fell for Sgt. Pepper's at about the same age Sybil did. In high school, I listened to Sgt. Pepper front to back so many times that it is at the top of my list. I also had a neat experience because my best friend Lisa and I would share a headset on band road trips -- so I learned one half of the music separate from the other, as it's in stereo. "Lovely Rita," "When I'm 64," "Getting Better," "She's Leaving Home," "A Day in the Life" -- all good and quite different from each other. George, Paul and John were really developing their own song styles, but I think they still came together nicely on this fun album.

Another favorite album is Abbey Road (which I learned this week was almost called Everest, but it was easier to do a cover shot for Abbey Road, said Sir Paul) mainly because of the medley. My favorite moment in Beatles music is when "Polythene Pam" transitions into "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window." I used to get the chills. And then "Golden Slumbers" is so sweet and strong. I just love it. I was dying for the Spree to cover that live, but now I guess I am happy I never saw it.

So I'd say "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" is my favorite song, although on its own it isn't as good.

Other favorites -- I'll Follow the Sun, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Norwegian Wood, I Will, Here There & Everywhere, Julia, Penny Lane and Hey Jude (got to hear that one live twice and are favorite concert moments.)

- Mere "this response would not get an A if I were answering an essay question because I didn't not stick to topic" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Irock

Postby Irock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Sorry to sound likr a broken record, but St Pepper's is definately my favorite - not because I think it's their *best,* but because as a wee youngun I was really impressed with those little cut out badges with the liner notes. And my dad told me that instead of touring they traveled around in an unmarked bus and would just set up and play unannounced, like in small parks. I dont' even know if that's true but I always sort of imagined that I could be at Cottonwood Park feeding the ducks and the Beatles would just show up and play to like 100 people.

She's leaving Home used to be my favorite, and Norwegian Wood has a special place in my heart, right next to Blackbird. Oh and I decided long ago that if I ever have kids I'm going to sing You Mother Should Know to them and it'll be all ironic n shit (when they're babies and they don't know enough to be embarrased by me).

I don't think I can pick a favorite song. I could probably narrow it down to ten.

**Oh! and Here Comes the Sun was my processional music so I guess that's got to be a favorite too. Thought mostly I just picked it because I thought it would be funny and it was 2 days before the wedding and I still couldn't find and instumental version of A Few Hours After This**
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

James

Postby James » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:05 pm

To be honest, I'm not even sure I could narrow it down to ten.

I love Sgt. Pepper; it will always have a place in my heart, because it was the original Soft Bulletin...there was something about 1967 in general and not sure what, but sounds from that year are just so beautiful and fun...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

eebs

Postby eebs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't think I've listened to a Beatles album all the way through, maybe the Live at the BBC / Anthology albums when they came out as they might have been played instore. If I had to pick one album to start with then I'd probably go for the 1 album - it's on the shelf next door and has She Loves You on it, which is my favourite Beatles song. I like it because it reminds me of simpler times and local radio on a Saturday evening.

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 am

As for my favourite album, it's difficult for me to choose between Rubber Soul and Revolver because all the songs on both albums are just so good, plus those are the two albums where George (my favourite Beatle) really starts to bare his teeth.

Favourite song, I'd say, would have to be either In My Life, or Rain, since it's the only time Ringo ever played the drums with any sort of proficiency. Or Flying, since I'm pretty sure that's the only song all four Beatles are co-credited for writing.
i'm the law of the land, i got ga-ga-ga-ga-guh-guh-girls on the command

katie

Postby katie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:08 am

i'll never be totally sure, but i think my favorite is abbey road. i just love the melodies and harmonies and the way they're layered over each other. the tunes get stuck in my head so easy, and i can turn it on at any point and it brightens my mood. it contains several of my favorite beatles songs: come together, something, oh! darling, i want you, because, and, of course, the medley.

i love rubber soul, too, however. it's simpler and more rock 'n roll than the glorious poppy explosion of abbey road. i don't love it as much as abbey road, though. sgt. pepper is up there, too, but again, it just can't eclipse abbey road for me.

but in general, i don't listen to beatles' recordings by album, i usually turn my ipod on shuffle in the beatles folder (yes, i know, i'm a member of the iGeneration) and rock out. i enjoy most all of their songs. can't think of one i don't really like, actually. just maybe ones i haven't heard of or ones i get sick of.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Irock

Postby Irock » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Also of note, because James said not everyone likes them: I know some people *say* they don't like the Beatles, but basically dont' believe them. Back in "the stone age" when people actually flipped through radio stations to see what was on, the people I knew who claimed to not like the Beatles would frequently stop on Beatles songs, or at least not change the station when they came on. People who claim to not like the Beatles are, in my experience, reacting to the Beatles phenomenon, not the band itself.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

katie

Postby katie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:14 pm

People who claim to not like the Beatles are, in my experience, reacting to the Beatles phenomenon, not the band itself.
i kind of agree with this. a lot of people say they don't like the beatles just so they can be ~unique snowflakes~
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 am

i was watching a show on mtv (true life) and this kid was wearing a beatles shirt. not that strange except that he's DEAF and he has been deaf his whole life and has no idea what the beatles, or any music, sounds like. even deaf people like the beatles, you guys. EVEN DEAF PEOPLE.

anyway, i don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable about the beatles. i'm going to repeat what everyone else has said and agree that sgt. pepper's is my favorite beatles album. i don't really have a favorite beatles song. i like them all. ALL OF THEM.
n_n

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 am

i was watching a show on mtv (true life) and this kid was wearing a beatles shirt. not that strange except that he's DEAF and he has been deaf his whole life and has no idea what the beatles, or any music, sounds like. even deaf people like the beatles, you guys. EVEN DEAF PEOPLE.

anyway, i don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable about the beatles. i'm going to repeat what everyone else has said and agree that sgt. pepper's is my favorite beatles album. i don't really have a favorite beatles song. i like them all. ALL OF THEM.
deaf people are assholes

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 am

hearing people who wear argyle sweatervests are assholes
n_n

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

you've gone too far this time

Irock

Postby Irock » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:03 pm

I loooove argyle sweater vests. If I could ever find any argyle for women without any Goddamned PINK in it, you'd think I was a total asshole.

And as long as I'm bitching about pink, I hate that Victorias Secret clothing line with a passion.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”