Best plays seen in 2007

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

Who goes first?

Katie
25%
Katie
25%
Katie
50%

Total votes: 8

Dutch

Best plays seen in 2007

Postby Dutch » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm curious; I'll bite.
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

roach

Postby roach » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:17 am

i bet it was that one with singing in it.

roach

Postby roach » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:18 am

or the one that made her cry like a 12 year old on their uncle's lap.

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 am

Uh oh, it looks like the votes are split, 50/50.

thrilling
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

katie

Postby katie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:14 am

ooooookay, you asked for it. in no particular order, just how they float to the surface:

1. rabbit hole by david lindsay-abaire. though at times the script seemed to be a bit lifetime-movie-of-the-week, the acting was really solid and the way it tied physics in with grieving loss was astounding, in my opinion. i cried. i always cry, but i really, really cried at this one. and cynthia nixon won a tony for it in new york. neat.

2. dying city by christopher shinn. i posted a thread about this. in that thread, i posted the following:

"[When an Iraq war widow is unexpectedly visited by her dead husband's twin brother, the two are forced to explore the repercussions of their loss, confront the secrets of the past, and admit the truth about the tragic legacy that connects them. Called "an achingly compassionate new play" by Variety, this off-Broadway hit explores the deep and profound impact historical and political events have on the individual. The New York Times credits playwright Christopher Shinn, author of this "transfixing tale of grief and violence," as "among the most provocative and probing of American playwrights today."]

the acting was amazing, but the thing i really liked about it was that it showed the effect of the war on individuals in a realistic setting. it showed both sides of the issue, and didn't just favor the side the playwright agreed with. it was poignant and touching and i cried like a bitch for the last twenty minutes. i really like theater that's all about human relationships, and this one hit the nail on the head. i think it's up for a pulitzer this year, and is definitely worth a read (if you guys are into plays - who knows, i might be the only one)."

3. fat pig by neil labute. i love labute. i think he has a really fascinating ability to pinpoint the awkwardness in social interaction. this play isn't my favorite of his (in love with the shape of things) but the production i saw was really fantastic. the actors crackled and fizzled where they should have and i loved the careful, deliberate, yet subtle staging on the part of the director.

4. titus andronicus by some dude named billy shakespeare. okay, okay, i worked on this one. but i just had pre- and post-show duties so i watched the show every night. for me to watch something that many times, i have to really love it. it had an all-male cast, featured water as a stand in for the play's typical gushings of blood, and the set was made of ropes and pillars in a four-sided staging in what used to be a garage in the dark, dirty basement of a shopping mall in harvard square. INTENSE. the direction was stunning. loved it.

there are more and i'll probably add to this thread in a bit, but i just spent WAY too long on this post.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Irock

Postby Irock » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 pm

I saw some plays. In Austin. They were short. And funny. They had names too I think.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:34 pm

I saw (don't laugh) Xanadu on broadway (well sort of) in NYC. I was forced to go and sat on the stage and you know what...I liked it. I do love a musical, I can't help myself. I now want to see Hairspray.

katie

Postby katie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:05 pm

i realized those were all pretty depressing plays, so my next installment (re: when i'm not swamped at work) will be plays that made me smile in 2007.
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 pm

damn I only saw the one play. I was gonna try and see hairspray in london but didn't.

katie

Postby katie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm

damn I only saw the one play. I was gonna try and see hairspray in london but didn't.
well, it's sort of my job. and all my friends' jobs. so i get a lot of free tickets. i haven't paid to see any theater at all this year, i don't think. maybe once or twice.

ka"i get to see the boston ballet's nutcracker in like two weeksssssss"tie
dread stuff

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 pm

well, it's sort of my job. and all my friends' jobs. so i get a lot of free tickets. i haven't paid to see any theater at all this year, i don't think. maybe once or twice.

ka"i get to see the boston ballet's nutcracker in like two weeksssssss"tie
yeah that's the best...cuz damn tickets are expensive to the theater. If I was half addicted as I am to rock n roll I would seriously be in the POORHOUSE!

lennon

Postby lennon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 pm

lets see...

i played 'david' in a play called 'breakfast with les and bess'.

so ya, thats my favorite.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”