The Spree

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 pm

(Am I the only one who misses seeing the "Polyphonic Spork" pop up when you type "Polyphonic Spree?")

- Mere "I'm getting all glory days about the hater days. . . and I'd also like to point out that this is the first conversation about them in I-don't-know-how-long on Forkers, so it seems like we have found something to talk about other than the Spree. . . " 1975
I'm sort of happy the name ban was lifted. Of course I didn't even notice it was lifted until I started this thread. But you're right, our lives are plenty busy without menitoning them as I'm sure their lives are. I guess everyone's moved on.
ban?!?!? there wasn't ever a ban. The only reason the "Spork" doesn't show up anymore is that it provided an undue stress on my database becuase of the flurry of activity that goes on here. I, personally, still wish they'd die in a fire (war eagle).
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

roach

Postby roach » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm

war eagle.

ro"think i maybe ruined for life"ach

...it's great to be!

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:52 pm

(Am I the only one who misses seeing the "Polyphonic Spork" pop up when you type "Polyphonic Spree?")

- Mere "I'm getting all glory days about the hater days. . . and I'd also like to point out that this is the first conversation about them in I-don't-know-how-long on Forkers, so it seems like we have found something to talk about other than the Spree. . . " 1975
I'm sort of happy the name ban was lifted. Of course I didn't even notice it was lifted until I started this thread. But you're right, our lives are plenty busy without menitoning them as I'm sure their lives are. I guess everyone's moved on.
ban?!?!? there wasn't ever a ban. The only reason the "Spork" doesn't show up anymore is that it provided an undue stress on my database becuase of the flurry of activity that goes on here. I, personally, still wish they'd die in a fire (war eagle).
:o well that's that then. :lol:

squeezle
original hater

Postby squeezle » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:19 pm

the band puts on a good show, you just can deny it.
i would like to try, but what do i know - i've slept through every one of their shows i've been to. oh well.

squeez "original hater" le
"Hope is for sissies"-House

Mere "hope deserves money" 1975

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:49 pm

the band puts on a good show, you just can deny it.
i would like to try, but what do i know - i've slept through every one of their shows i've been to. oh well.

squeez "original hater" le
yeah, that's true you weren't bothered to begin with. :lol:

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Postby mr_j » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:24 pm

can i rightfully blame my skin cancer on the spree? after all, their pro-sun agenda can be hell on the skin of pasty people like myself.

as for the spree...watching the live DVD that came out, it reminded me that they were a pretty good live band. and i guess that i like the fragile army in part because it seems like he's breaking from the novelty act element of the spree arrangement...

as for picking on phyllis...pitiful. almost as pitiful as tim's statements and insinuations about how sufjan and arcade fire owe their success to HIM.

and i'm doing better after my surgery and treatments. thanks for those who wished me well.

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:43 pm

almost as pitiful as tim's statements and insinuations about how sufjan and arcade fire owe their success to HIM.
Source?

Glad to hear you're feeling better.
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

good to have you back _J, we've missed our "far east" (TX that is) contingent.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:11 pm

almost as pitiful as tim's statements and insinuations about how sufjan and arcade fire owe their success to HIM.
Source?

Glad to hear you're feeling better.
It was an interview Tim did with Texas Music magazine, summer 2007. It's a rather blah interview, except for the recollection of the penis-shaped lap harp player which was rather hilarious.

in a non-sexual way, of course.

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 pm

What do you make of groups that have emerged in the wake of the Polyphonic Spree using similar themes, but to greater popular success? I'm specifically thinking of the Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens, both of whom play music that could be described as orchestral, and both of whom touch frequently on matters of faith.

The Polyphonic Spree has inspired a lot of groups, and I know that for a fact. And I like it because I like the meeting of those two musical groups--symphonic orchestration and pop rock. I wish there was recognition of the Spree because some of those groups are received like it's some great, original idea they came up with. I think we deserve credit for busting our asses to get where we are.

katie

Postby katie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm

I wish there was recognition of the Spree because some of those groups are received like it's some great, original idea they came up with.
that sentence is so whiny. sour grapes-y. like, "waah, someone took my idea and did something better than i could do with it and is more successful than i am at it."

and i think the arcade fire is much more tripping daisy than the spree.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

roach

Postby roach » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 pm

I wish there was recognition of the Spree because some of those groups are received like it's some great, original idea they came up with.
that sentence is so whiny. sour grapes-y. like, "waah, someone took my idea and did something better than i could do with it and is more successful than i am at it."

and i think the arcade fire is much more tripping daisy than the spree.
arcade fire = boooooo in a fire.

James

Postby James » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Well, I think there's a further reality check necessary, because it's not exactly a "new" idea. All you have to do is listen to 70's pop to realise that. Or Danielson Famile. Refreshing at the time, yes, but original, not so much.

And the Sufjan comparisons I've never really understood. He's a singer-songwriter first, and the instruments compliment what he's already written. He's closer to Belle & Sebastian IMO than the Spree.

But whatever...I never cared for the arrogance.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

katie

Postby katie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Well, I think there's a further reality check necessary, because it's not exactly a "new" idea. All you have to do is listen to 70's pop to realise that. Or Danielson Famile. Refreshing at the time, yes, but original, not so much.
for real. has he never heard that whole "nothing is original anymore" diatribe?

that whole thing is awful. it's just so pompous and condescending. like he created the idea of voices over music and everyone with a horn or a flute is ripping off his "great, original idea." of a band.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

roach

Postby roach » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm

I just saw the spree are at the house of blues tonight. anyone going?

edit: in dallas

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”