Guster

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

James

Guster

Postby James » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:00 pm

I know I've talked about them before. I think they get unfairly dumped into the whole "college rock for people who aren't so into music" category, but listening to their newest stuff on MySpace, I can't help but get carried away. I suppose it's also because Seth is going to be tour managing them now as well that I think of them more often, but I'm really digging them. Plus, they have a very fun live show.

But I find it strange because all the people I knew who liked them when I was at Uni were, well, very freaky and very obsessed with them. To the level that it was scary. As in they couldn't talk about any other band. I remember one girl at KTCU who would not shut up about them. The rest of the staff ended up hating them because of this girl...just by default. I made the mistake of saying I actually thought they were good, so every time I was around, she kept trying to talk about them to me. I find that behaviour a bit weird.

But I think it's a label that's not deserved. They are a great pop/rock band, and seem to be only getting better.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:03 pm

I have the second album (I think) and I really really liked it.
I went to see them with a few friends when they played at gypsy tea room. I was actually really suprised that there were SOOOO many people there because I had never heard them on the radio... so I thought it must be a college radio thing... the crowd did look a little frat-rockish...

My friend Julio was the one who suggested them to me... he is really reeeeealy into them... he particularly liked the drumming which sounded incredible, but I couldn't see for the life of me (damnit to being short!).

I'll have to check out the new stuff.

James

Postby James » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:38 pm

he particularly liked the drumming which sounded incredible, but I couldn't see for the life of me (damnit to being short!).
The drummer, in many ways, is the live show. He used to just play this huge conga percussion set, all with his hands (including cymbals). Now he switches between that and a drum set, and sometimes they have both with his drum tech playing drums during the live show.

But to me, the difference has been they're much better songwriters these days. And the song that's on my MySpace currently is their newest offering, and it's better than all the stuff I've heard previously. I think it's since they added that fourth guy it's all come together.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”