borderline mechaphilia

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

ifihadahifi

borderline mechaphilia

Postby ifihadahifi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 pm

So, the hifi household looked into the "cash for clunkers" incentive. I have a '99 Jeep Cherokee with almost 140k miles on it. She certainly qualifies. But then I read that they'll scrap the car when it's traded in. That means they'd crush Priscilla. My heart actually sank when I read that.

I've never been so attached to a car before. She's scratched and hail-damaged. The A/C went out years ago. The seats are perma-gunked from fast food, mud and god knows what else. When I make sharp left turns the gauges die and the airbag signal lights up. The power windows only work the driver's window controls. If you slam the passenger door too hard the power locks don't work. She only gets about 18 mpg.
But geedee if I don't really love her. When I thought about actually getting rid of her it felt like giving up one of my beloved dogs. It's gonna break my heart.

And that surprises me.

You ever felt that way about a car?

hi-itsajeepthing...-fi

monet2u

Re: borderline mechaphilia

Postby monet2u » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 pm

not really. my first car was the sticker mobile many years ago and I really did like that car (I covered it inside and out with stickers, an art car of sorts). but when it was time to go...it went. I was sad because I did have to lose some of my fave stickers that I'd collected tho since they were stuck on the car.

honestly your car sounds awful, hope the family doesn't drive in it, sounds dangerous. ;-) Trade her in and get a new car you can love for another 10 years. I mean the whole purpose of this program is to get older cars off the road, right?

Irock

Postby Irock » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Is this car your daily driver?

I loved my 91 Nissan Sentra more than any other car, but they've always been a tool first. I drove her to 198k, but the lure of something shiney (my Saturn) made letting her go easier.

Not sure I'll feel when I have to let the Mini go, it's the only car I've ever had that's actually fun to drive. Check back with me in 15 years, she may be my Pricilla.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:24 pm

cash for clunkers has run out of money...so you get to keep your old car!

Update: the house just voted to give more money...so don't delay!

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:43 pm

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 Ford Explorer
3. 1996 Ford Explorer
4. 1999 Ford Explorer
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer
8. 1994 Ford Explorer
9. 1997 Ford Windstar
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

At least I don't drive a Ford Explorer.

roach

Postby roach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:09 pm

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer
2. 1997 Ford Explorer
3. 1996 Ford Explorer
4. 1999 Ford Explorer
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer
8. 1994 Ford Explorer
9. 1997 Ford Windstar
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

At least I don't drive a Ford Explorer.
my friend at work is thinking of trading in her cherokee, but she's had it for 15 years and is really attached to it also.

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes. Both of my cars. Both were totaled and I felt like my insurance compnany was raping me and telling me what my beloved babies were worth.

Especially my first car, the Passat with the Tripping Daisy sticker. She was my freedom-mobile in high school.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:03 pm

of course in the mail the other day I get one of those class action suit paperworks. apparently honda has a potentially faulting oil filter/placement that has caused engine fires. thankfully, I haven't had that problem. the end result was that honda would place a ton of cash in an account and if you end up with an engine fire and can prove it's because of their filter thingie, you can use some of those funds to pay for repairs. /fail

whatevs. 3 years and counting and so far so good.

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”