Flash floods Thursday

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

Dalya
hipster

Flash floods Thursday

Postby Dalya » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm

So, we went out for brunch on Thursday. We went to All Good Cafe and parked at a meter on Main St. Halfway through our meal we saw all these people staring outside, so we went and looked. The block where I parked my car had over a foot of water all of a sudden. We paid and went closer and realized the water was above the tire level.

When the rain stopped and the water went down, we spent 30 minutes scooping water out of my car with styrofoam cups. Luckily, all that got ruined (besides the car) was a book. It was floating. My car turned on, but all the dashboard lights were going crazy. Took it to the dealership and it's gonna be over $3,000. Insurance company is paying, including for a rental until it's fixed, but I still have a $1,000 deductible. I'm just glad it turned on and I didn't have to pay for a tow truck, etc. And I'm glad the flood wasn't worse and it didn't get swept into a tree.

Thursday night I heard this same story from like 3 different people. These little floods happened all over, apparently. Crazy.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

mere1975

Re: Flash floods Thursday

Postby mere1975 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:42 am

We did have the weirdest weather Wednesday/Thursday!

Sorry about your car. Glad you didn't get swept away with it while driving or something! :(

- Mere "expenses suck" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 pm

In New Orleans, they always said don't try to start your car after it's been flooded (until it's dried out). But who here would know...
formerly known as valentine (and who lives in WEST Fort Worth)

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:20 am

I've already given up hope on anything remotely close to the Gulf of Mexico. Man talk about being in the crosshairs. Get out while you can fools!

roach

Postby roach » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 am

I've already given up hope on anything remotely close to the Gulf of Mexico. Man talk about being in the crosshairs. Get out while you can fools!

I failed to contact you while I was in ohio so that pretty much means that I'm a dick(i have excuses and i reckon we'll talk about those at some point)... then you need to test your luck here... i know that makes no sense, but if you find your self in dallas I will totally throw your vacation for a something or other... we'll be back in columbus in 4(3) years...

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 pm

In New Orleans, they always said don't try to start your car after it's been flooded (until it's dried out). But who here would know...
I read my manual and it said what to do if the engine was flooded (which it turned out not to be) which is keep it in park and rev the engine until it sounds normal again, basically.

So... they totaled my car. I spent the whole week arguing with the Total Loss office about how much they're going to give me for it and test driving new cars. I negotiated a lease on a new Acura all by myself. I'm a big girl! And I got a really good deal. So, it was a huge pain in the ass, but now I have bluetooth on my steering wheel and a USB port for my ipod, so it's ok. Plus, new car smell!
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 am

AND FLASH HAIL STORM TODAY which beat the crap out of my brand new mother effing Acura.

Jesus.

Christ.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 pm

wow. The car Gods hate you. Never take a job as a valet.

i "sorry honey!" rock
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:43 pm

BUT it's a leased car right? so no worries you can get a new one when the lease is up. :D

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:03 am

...Except I have to make an insurance claim and get it fixed now or I'll have to pay for it in 3 years when I turn it in. Oh well. I guess this is why insurance exists. For disasters like me.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”