hobby lobby sucks

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

ifihadahifi

Re: hobby lobby sucks

Postby ifihadahifi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:44 pm

ewww, mardel? the same guy who started hobby lobby started MARDEL? UGGGGGH. eff mart green.
Haven't you noticed there's always a Mardel next to Hobby Lobby?

And he gave $70 million to Oral Roberts University.

The music in Hobby Lobby is praise music. If we ever in a hobby lobby at the same time I can teach you the words. It's annoying.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47 pm

there is a mardel in denton but it's not next to the hobby lobby. they're pretty seperate, although they are both on the loop (but everything in denton is on the loop). i never noticed the music in hobby lobby because i don't go there often and i am pretty good at tuning out background noise. but that's very interesting.
n_n

katie

Postby katie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 pm

here is a comprehensive list of employers and their piercing/tattoo/hair color policies. take a look, you might be really surprised at some of the policies.

http://www.modifiedmind.com/employline.html

and dallas is a pretty heavily modified town, or maybe i just hang out in incredibly modified circles. that being said, the only problem i've ever had with a job and mods was when i worked at olive garden. had to take out my tongue barbell (the piercing was 4 years old and 00g, it didn't really matter if i took it out or not). turns out i hated that job a lot.

but hell, i had an office job at a university with messy two-month old dreads. be good for the job, and most employers don't give a fuck what you look like (this is obviously not true for everysinglejobever, i know justin has to take out his metal for work). even stretched lobes are becoming more acceptable in the workplace. for girls, it's not that noticeable though. i have 1/2" lobes and no employer has ever mentioned them.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

This coming from the guy that wore a leotard to his interview.
Hey, Phyllis. Be glad you didn't get that job.
You'd be working for this guy.

I was just going to say you could probably get a job in Denton with a piercing -- but not at a shop that closes on Sundays so its employees can attend church service.

I know you want to be yourself and all of that. . . but I kind of agree with Mr. J. You need to dress to impress (gag) if you want to be taken seriously in job interviews, even if it's just applying at a craft store. Just wear a nicer version of what you normally wear, in the style of the place you're hoping will hire you.

The guy was still a huge a-hole to you though.

- Mere "when I worked at the movie theatre and someone asked about applying, we HAD TO allow them and even encourage them to apply, even if we were not hiring" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm

it's not like i wore rags around and didn't shower or something. i was dressed nicely and well groomed. and i didn't know that it was a "christian holier than thou we think we're better than everyone" store. i should have probably done some research. had i known that it was a bunch of stiff pricks who think they're better than everyone because they go to church i probably wouldn't have tried to apply there.

i'm not going to take out my piercing and let it close up for some minimum wage job stocking shelves. sorry, i guess that makes me a brat or something. i'd rather work in a place that is more lax about piercings and if someone doesn't want to hire me and views me as lowly because i have a piercing in my lip then i don't want to work there. plain and simple.

sorry if this sounds bitchy, it's not directed at anyone here. i just think that it's unacceptable to treat someone like garbage based on a prejudgement. and i still hate hobby lobby. and i'm still not going to shop there.
n_n

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 pm

when I was in my teens/20s looking for a job I had many piercings and many tats and it wasn't all that acceptable, I covered everything up before interviews and once I got the job I started revealing myself...by then I had shown I was a good employee and hard worker. today is different from then tho. I do agree one must present yourself in professional manner, you might also want to have a resume with you, I always found that made me look much more professional (compared to the rest of the schlubbas), even if only for retail positions.

anyway, I'm sure you did everything fine and now it just sounds like that's a crap place to work anyway. keep looking and good luck with the search.

Irock

Postby Irock » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:47 am

1. I'd bet $10 that - even though I'm sure that guy is an all-around asshole - he was uglier to Phylis because of the piercing. There still a lot of small minds out there, and the concentrate in places like a) Texas and b) Hobby Lobby.

2. Phyllis, I think your job serach policy is completely right. If you needed a job to make rent / feed your kids I'd feel differently.

This story's about that guy being an asshole, not about what anyone should / could do to placate him and other assholes like him (even though placation is a useful skill). He hates you for your freedom, Phyllis! The only reasonable response if to bomb Hobby Lobby off the face of the earth. Please wait til I've bought my frames though, k?

i "don't think placation is a word" rock
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

katie

Postby katie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:16 am

1. I'd bet $10 that - even though I'm sure that guy is an all-around asshole - he was uglier to Phylis because of the piercing. There still a lot of small minds out there, and the concentrate in places like a) Texas and b) Hobby Lobby.

2. Phyllis, I think your job serach policy is completely right. If you needed a job to make rent / feed your kids I'd feel differently.
agreed on both points.
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 am

he was probably rude to me because i am a woman also.
WTF SEXISM
n_n

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:51 am

he was probably rude to me because i am a woman also.
WTF SEXISM
He's just angry because his Mardel boss probably won't let him be openly gay, so he surrounds himself with sequins and brickabrack, but is rude to fine women.

- Mere "the guy is obv. not cool enough to be the manbroidery kind of crafty guy" 1975

P.S.
Hi, stereotype of gay + sequins and Christian jerk + gay self-hate. I like to joke about you.

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:53 pm

ooo that reminds me I bought an Elvisbroidery thingy. Of course I haven't a clue how to do it. It does have a pattern, but I'm unclear on if I tack the pattern to the thing or count the spaces...any clues?

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 pm

ooo that reminds me I bought an Elvisbroidery thingy. Of course I haven't a clue how to do it. It does have a pattern, but I'm unclear on if I tack the pattern to the thing or count the spaces...any clues?
You can use dressmaker's tracing paper to transfer the pattern

or you can pin the pattern to the fabric and embroider right over the pattern and then carefully tear it away

oooor you can use a running stitch over the pattern, tear the pattern away and then embroider over your running stitch.

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm gonna go pee standing up, chew some tobacco and maybe drive a nail into some wood with a single swing.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 am

You can use dressmaker's tracing paper to transfer the pattern

or you can pin the pattern to the fabric and embroider right over the pattern and then carefully tear it away

oooor you can use a running stitch over the pattern, tear the pattern away and then embroider over your running stitch.

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm gonna go pee standing up, chew some tobacco and maybe drive a nail into some wood with a single swing.

:lol: yes you should probably do all of those things at once if you can....and thanks for th tips, they're just what I needed!

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Aw, you don't want to work there, anyway.

I shop at Joann's, Michael's, or even Garden Ridge before I go to Hobby Lobby.

My problem with them began with asking if they gave a discount for Girl Scout troops. Nope, schools and church groups only.

They also used to put a Bible verse reference in their ads but I looked in today's paper and didn't see it in the current ad.

No offense to Christians, but if I see a fish in a yellow pages ad I steer away from that business.
formerly known as valentine (and who lives in WEST Fort Worth)

katie

Postby katie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Garden Ridge
what is this?! i've never heard of it.

also, if anyone out there is a yarn artist and wants to support local businesses, check out the shabby sheep on boll st. they have a really great selection of yarns and it ranges from wildly expensive to cheap as hell. the ladies who work there are super nice, too, and i always feel better shopping in a locally owned place than at a corporation. they'll even ball your yarn for free, which is a huge bonus if you don't want to end up with your expensive yarn in a giant fucking tangle. also, i'm trying to get hired here, so if you stop by, mention i sent you por favor.

[/plug]
dread stuff

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”