american public school system

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

katie

Postby katie » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Do yourself one better. Teach. Knowledge learned that isn't shared with others is knowledge wasted. Things won't get better when those who can make it better don't try to make it better.
See, the problem with that is that I hate - read it again - HATE children. I have not a motherly bone in my body. The only level I would consider teaching at would be collegiate, and I would have to obtain a master's for that anyways. That doesn't mean I don't plan on sharing my knowledge. My dream job is to either run a theatre or dance company, and that would entail a lot of creative management, where I could pass knowledge and expertise on to others. I feel that more important than teaching is giving those you see talent in a chance to explore themselves. Sort of exposing the diamond-in-the-rough. There are plenty of other ways to share knowledge, creativity, talent, and expertise than straight-up classroom teaching!
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Dogatron

Postby Dogatron » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:39 pm

There are plenty of other ways to share knowledge, creativity, talent, and expertise than straight-up classroom teaching!
not a classroom desk in sight

The best things in life are truely free
Singing birds and laughing bees
You got me wrongs says he
The sun don't shine in your TV

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:20 pm

i miss learning so much. i'm so excited to start school again with the knowledge that if i dont do well i will have to work in a shitty restaurant for the rest of my life. theres no better motivation than a shithead boss.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:21 pm

this isnt the doug stanhope forum.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Do yourself one better. Teach. Knowledge learned that isn't shared with others is knowledge wasted. Things won't get better when those who can make it better don't try to make it better.
See, the problem with that is that I hate - read it again - HATE children. I have not a motherly bone in my body. The only level I would consider teaching at would be collegiate, and I would have to obtain a master's for that anyways. That doesn't mean I don't plan on sharing my knowledge. My dream job is to either run a theatre or dance company, and that would entail a lot of creative management, where I could pass knowledge and expertise on to others. I feel that more important than teaching is giving those you see talent in a chance to explore themselves. Sort of exposing the diamond-in-the-rough. There are plenty of other ways to share knowledge, creativity, talent, and expertise than straight-up classroom teaching!

Teaching does not necessarily have to take place in a classroom, just as learning doesn't. I think teaching should be about loving something -an academic subject, a talent, etc. and wanting to share it with others.
formerly known as valentine (and who lives in WEST Fort Worth)

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:17 pm

kids are not as bad as you think. they are just like little people. with a lower pain tolerance. who can't tie their shoes.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Postby mr_j » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:48 pm

if i may allow to gush for a moment...

one of the greatest esperiences you can experience is watching a child learn something. the magical moment when their brain grasps a concept and they go 'whoa, i get it!' is just so utterly beautiful. there's a look, an expression, and it's just so real and so beautiful and so amazing and so impossibly perfect and so beyond easy description.

for his first birthday, i gave my baby nephew a see-and-say. he and i sat on the floor, and i showed it to him, and i showed him how it worked, turning the li'l arrow and pulling the handle. his face lit up...but then i showed him how to do it, saying "watch what happens," his big blue eyes just swelled up real big, and you could just SEE from his expression that he'd figured it out. it was just one of those moments...and he's been awesome ever since!

(he then proceeded to annoy the hell out of us for the rest of the afternoon with that danged 'the cow goes moooo the duck says quack' thing--PRICELESS!)

katie

Postby katie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:48 pm

kids are not as bad as you think. they are just like little people. with a lower pain tolerance. who can't tie their shoes.
kids make me horribly uncomfortable. my mom ran a pre-school for 20 years or so, and i'd get panic attacks before going inside. my school's theatre honors society hosted workshops for middle schoolers, and i swear if i wasn't secretary and had to stay at my computer typing minutes, i would have thrown up.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”