It's the little things that make me happy

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Re: It's the little things that make me happy

Postby mr_j » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:39 am

A meth-head psycho can be anyone;anywhere.
Jacked on Da Rocks...it's the must-have toy for urban toddlers!

ree-ree

Postby ree-ree » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:39 am

ebony and ivory

I wish my friends and I had that set up when we were younger.
We just had our mom's valium/vodka chemistry set.
"Don't go to bed mad. Stay up and fight"

rockfan

Postby rockfan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 am

a)I love how it's never IN our neighborhoods (that would lower property values) just the outside element trying to get in.
Oh, I totally believe her on this one. Our neighborhood is on the edge of one of the worst neighborhoods in Dallas. We, however, have a ton of cops living in our neighborhood and we pay a fee that helps support extra patrols through the few streets that make up our neighborhood. Without this, the fuckers would be breaking into our houses just like they are 3 streets over.
That's us. We're the dividing line with all the cliches. The ones up the hill and on the right side of the railroad tracks expect us to be the buffer. When they went to redistrict the city, the crap hit the fan - us because we knew we would be on the wrong end of services, them because we couldn't keep them in the lifestyle with which they were accustomned to. Especially, if we bailed.
I just get bored with the scare tactics (and the racism is really prevalent though covert in our "progressive" nieghborhood.)
Is this the new definition of MIDDLE Class? If so, I like it a bit better than this mish-mash of the Suburban jungle I've moved into. At least you know where your most of your enemies are in the city.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:41 pm

Oh, I totally believe her on this one. Our neighborhood is on the edge of one of the worst neighborhoods in Dallas. We, however, have a ton of cops living in our neighborhood and we pay a fee that helps support extra patrols through the few streets that make up our neighborhood. Without this, the fuckers would be breaking into our houses just like they are 3 streets over.
That's us. We're the dividing line with all the cliches. The ones up the hill and on the right side of the railroad tracks expect us to be the buffer. When they went to redistrict the city, the crap hit the fan - us because we knew we would be on the wrong end of services, them because we couldn't keep them in the lifestyle with which they were accustomned to. Especially, if we bailed.
I just get bored with the scare tactics (and the racism is really prevalent though covert in our "progressive" nieghborhood.)
Is this the new definition of MIDDLE Class? If so, I like it a bit better than this mish-mash of the Suburban jungle I've moved into. At least you know where your most of your enemies are in the city.
I grew up just a stone's throw from aquaphase's casa and this dynamic has been gowing on for at least 25 years there. In the far suburbs, the HOAs enforce policies that the government doesn't have the right to. In the residential areas of the city, some people see them as their last line of defense before apartment dwelling, meth cooking strangers come steal their SUV, rape their wife and get their kids hooked on some new drug they've never heard of.

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:05 pm

McK, Frisco, Allen's HOAs are control freaks.

God forbid I paint my house the wrong color of khaki.

ree-ree

Postby ree-ree » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Chicago has a long (but very interesting) history involving conclavic (if that's a word)neighborhoods, segragation, white flight, rebirth.
Beverly (my neighborhood) hung on for dear life in the 70s during the white flight and managed to re-invent itself to the point where it's a very prospering yet non-segregated area. It's relatively safe, affordable and has the old city neighborhood charm. A lot of city cops and firemen live here.
Lurking underneath though, is the fear that it'll all go at any minute. (People still ask and talk about the color of a new homebuyer on their street.)
Some of the fears are realistic, some of it is crap.
People from the suburbs will ask, "Don't you get tired of being afraid of getting shot?"
I'm like,"What the hell are you talking about?"
But if you drive a 1/2 mile east, you would have that fear.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:52 pm

People from the suburbs will ask, "Don't you get tired of being afraid of getting shot?"
This happened to me a couple times when I was a kid. Sometimes I would want to say: my neighborhood is just like yours, we just don't have to drive 30 minutes to eat someplace other than Bennigans. Other times I would want to play up how bad it was, as if I was from the streets.

ree-ree

Postby ree-ree » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Other times I would want to play up how bad it was, as if I was from the streets.
Hahahahah! That can be quite fun! :twisted:

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:21 pm

my old neighborhood forbid anyone from getting a new roof that wasn't made of wood, despite the fact that its a fire hazard, because it looked nicer. luckily they invented that new stuff that looks like wood but isn't wood, so they approved that. fucking morons.

my new neighborhood also sucks though, because a bunch of dumb teenagers drove around last week a smashed up 5 or 6 cars, including my next door neighbors, and egged their houses. way to go, guys.

now my moms all scared because she thinks it was "criminals" not teenagers. i'm like, mom i'm pretty sure they'd take the fucking car if they were criminals instead of just ruining the windshield.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:33 pm

The funny thing is that I grew up moving every 4 years to a brand new home in the brand new part of town. Very suburban. Now I want to have one of those nice older homes in town.

Yet, my close friend Meghan grew up in town and couldn't WAIT to own a 2-story, red brick home that looks just like every other home on her block in north, north, north, north Plano -- despite the 70-minute drive to work on toll roads.

- Mere "The grass is greener over there on the other side of the fence" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

stephen

Postby stephen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:05 pm

stuff like that really scares me you know. i'd hate to live in or near someplace rough. i'd be scared all the time. i'm funny enough going off from the main streets of manchester, stressing i'm going to get mugged or stabbed or something.

we live in a well quiet area right at the end of country town so it's nice. there was a big protest and lots of campaigning over a mental home opening someplace down the road but apparently it ended up just being a front for an asylum center or something.

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 pm

This happened to me a couple times when I was a kid.
This happened to me when I was about 14. Before that I had no idea that I lived in a "bad" neighborhood.

**I would like to preface my next statement by saying that I live in a condo and so the Association is the only way you get your foundation leveled, your roof fixed, your living room unflooded, or your building insured.**

I'm on the board. My office on the board is secretary. When I tell other homeowners I'm the secretary, they assume I'm an employee, not a homeowner. :roll:

And no, you can't get neon green blinds. Because we said. Deal with it.

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:32 pm

the only thing you have to worry about out where i live is your drunken neighbor accidently shooting you on random target practice nights.

oh, and some dumbass up the street was welding his fence during a burn ban and a spark got loose and burnt the land from the corner all the way to my house (which is pretty far) and almost caught someone's house on fire.
"SINCERELY"

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:13 am

i dont get scared easily. i can hear gunshots nearby and still not get scared. i think i'd actually have to see the gun. otherwise i assume i'm a good person and i won't get shot and its just some hick fucking around with his rifle.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

Dutch

Postby Dutch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:40 am

i'm a good person
lol
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”