Al Gore wins Nobel Prize

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

Sybil

Al Gore wins Nobel Prize

Postby Sybil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 am

Al Gore, Nobel Peace Prize. This is interesting to me.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

Irock

Postby Irock » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:35 pm

No. Fucking. Way.

I didn't hear about this this morning because NPR is doing a damn pledge drive (you already have my money, assholes!).

That's awesome. One day maybe I'll watch his movie.

So does this make hm more or less likely to ever be president? People still talk shit about Carter.

Lots of thoughts, no connecting sentences. See what no NPR in the morning does to me??
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:49 pm

his daughter was recently the roommate of my friend here in SF...then she moved out to get married.

I haven't seen the movie yet either Sunny.

We're already pretty green here in SF/bay area (for the most part). I even recycle my "eWaste".

I don't know if I'd vote for Gore this time round if he ran.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:04 pm

For some reason, when I saw this story on Yahoo this morning, it made me feel proud for him.

Like I know him or something.

- Mere "call me, we'll go watch that movie as a group" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

roach

Postby roach » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:11 pm

guess those pesky monks didn't knock him out the way.

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Not to be a negative nancy, but what the fuck does work on global warming have to do with the original tenants of the Nobel Peace Prize? At the very least, Muta Maathai won the award for sustainable development (while planting trees, etc.)

I call bullshits.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Not certain, but isn't more about the person's efforts in fighting the good fight (especially in the face of adversity)?

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Twenty bucks say he throws his hat into the presidential ring at the last moment. Sorry to be so horribly cynical, but this just seems like an endorsement and initial campaign contribution.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:36 pm

"...isn't it time we had somebody working for peace in the Oval Office? GORE 2008."

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Twenty bucks say he throws his hat into the presidential ring at the last moment.
Watch and see if he starts losing weight - if he drops 40 pounds, it's a lock.

Sy "how's that for cynical" bil
Are you on the list?

Irock

Postby Irock » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:16 pm

Remember when Stanley Tookie Williams was on the nomination list? I thought it was a blatant attempt on behalf of those Swedes to shame us into re-thinking the death penalty. This smells like the same type of thing - if only because people are rarely granted the award for work they've been doing largely over the course of eight years. People often (usually?) wait decades; NPR told me the timing of the award sometimes even has to do with who's gonna die soonest, since it can't be granted posthumously...

If they really are trying to give us a hint, I think it's ham-handed and misguided, and I'd hope the people on that committee were smarter than that... but then again they aren't politicians. People who support W are more likely to just say"see? even America's rejects are better than other people."

U-S-A! U-S-A!
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

katie

Postby katie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:12 am

I call bullshits.
seconded.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

James

Postby James » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:06 pm

Twenty bucks say he throws his hat into the presidential ring at the last moment. Sorry to be so horribly cynical, but this just seems like an endorsement and initial campaign contribution.
He's so popular on a worldwide scale at the moment, why would he want to tie himself down to being the US President?
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:12 pm

if only because people are rarely granted the award for work they've been doing largely over the course of eight years. People often (usually?) wait decades; NPR told me the timing of the award sometimes even has to do with who's gonna die soonest, since it can't be granted posthumously...U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ahem... Martin Luther King, Jr. Only 35 years old when he won the Peace Prize. They couldn't have known he would die 3 years later.

Toni Morrison - I'm not sure how old she was when she got it, but it was about 15 years ago, and I think she's been going pretty strong ever since. On the other hand, this year's literary winner Doris Lessing is 88 years old and she deserved it about 30 years ago. To be perfectly honest, I was surprised to see that she's still kicking.

Just saying.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:14 pm

He's so popular on a worldwide scale at the moment, why would he want to tie himself down to being the US President?
Word. Academy Awards, Emmy awards, Nobel Prize. It's good to be Al Gore right now. Being president would definitely be a letdown.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”