Steveums in America: a guide

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

ree-ree

Postby ree-ree » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm

I still love a frosty can of Tecate. It goes especially well with shots of tekillya.
"Don't go to bed mad. Stay up and fight"

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:01 pm

try both dunkin donuts and krispy kremes, then compare.

go to a Deli at some point and have a real new york style bagel with cream cheese and lox (smoked salmon). try Deli News when it Dallas. its my favorite.

jamba juice!!!!!! (smoothies)

go to Cheesecake Factory for desert one night.

go to Central Market and spend hours marveling at all the different kinds of apples.

go to the Farmers' market and buy sugar cane to chew on. its really good.

go to the 6th Floor Museum (JFK Museum), and make sure to talk to the crazy conspiracy theorists outside.

go to Harry Hines Blvd. if you want to see some el grosso strippers or if you want some cheap crap for souvenirs.

eat at Taco Cabana at 3 in the morning. Get plain beef or chicken fajitas or tortilla soup. everything else will give you the shits.

go to supertarget.

do not go to walmart.

in deep ellum never make eye contact with homeless people unless you want to give them your last $20/your shirt/your pants/your savings acount info. they are very persistent. if they start telling you a story about how they need to get to their brother in amarillo but the bus driver kicked them of the bus because of their lazy eye blah blah blah JUST WALK AWAY.

i'd pretty much stay away from deep ellum except for Pepe's.

eat brunch at Terelli's on a sunday morning if you want to run into half of the spree/ex spree.

go to Pandemonium on Knox/Henderson if you want cool vintage clothes.

go to the outlet mall in Allen if you need anything high quality and want it cheap (also a good place to get presents for your family like perfume and whatnot)

go to American Aparel next to urban outfitters for the comfiest/coolest plain t-shirts, sweatshirts, and sweatpants known to man.

go to Goodwill to find funny uber-american shirts (like "Merry Christmas, Y'all!")... also a good place for presents, but make sure to wash everything as it smells funny.

make sure to watch the evening news one night and then thank jesus for the BBC.

Go to Popeyes - get red beans and rice, cajun fries, 2 biscuits, and a Dr. Pepper. (american dr pepper tastes different.)

go to a midnight movie at The Inwood. also, the Inwood has the best popcorn of all the movie theaters in Dallas.

buy converse. they are 3 times cheaper here, so stock up.

go to highland park if you want to see the ultimate W.A.S.P. paradise.

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:49 pm

come to downtown Sarnia with me and we'll use your accent/hair to pick up girls with too much eyeliner.
i'm the law of the land, i got ga-ga-ga-ga-guh-guh-girls on the command

brine

Postby brine » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:57 pm

Because of you, Steve, I am no longer afraid of british accents.

Thank you.

Rebecca

My top 10

Postby Rebecca » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:06 pm

1. I definitely agree about the sunscreen. Wear it all the time. And if you wear sandals, don't forget to put it on the tops of your feet. There's nothing worse than walking around with sunburned feet.

2. It gets really freaking hot in the summer. Drink lots and lots and lots of water.

3. Because it is so hot, you may want to plan some water-related activities. Tubing down the Guadalupe River or going to Schlitterbahn are my favorite things to do. I suggest mixing water activities with cold cold Mexican beer. Amusement parks are a lot of fun too, but they are not quite so fun when they are packed and it's a million degrees outside.

4. Mixed drinks are a LOT stronger here than they are in the UK, so be careful.

5. I disagree that all American beer is shit. Budweiser, Coors, Miller, and the other huge breweries are shit of course. But there are a lot of great microbrews, and some of my favorites are from Texas (available at Whole Foods, Central Market, etc.).

6. Eat tex-mex for sure, and don't forget to have some breakfast tacos. They are delicious, especially in the middle of the night. If you come to San Antonio, I'll show you some real Mexican food.

7. If you want to go to the JFK museum, go to the conspiracy museum instead. It's way more interesting.

8. You'll be here for the 4th of July, right? Get someone to take you to a big fireworks display.

9. I would suggest some interesting museums/historical sites, but American history seems sort of silly and immature compared to European history.

10. Eat barbecue. Ride a horse, if possible.

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:28 pm

11. Shoot a gun.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:34 pm

11. Shoot a gun.
12. Not in my house.

- Mere "FYI, I don't own firearms, Steveums" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Dutch

Re: My top 10

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:34 pm

7. If you want to go to the JFK museum, go to the conspiracy museum instead. It's way more interesting.

8. You'll be here for the 4th of July, right? Get someone to take you to a big fireworks display.
YES YES YES and you must go to the Lakewood Neighborhood Independence Day Parade on the 4th of July. It goes down one of the nicest, friendliest streets in town, and there's usually an all-afternoon party with pitchers of mimosas and mojitos in one of the homes of the rich Dallas Yippie DemFams that fill that area with joy.

And Rebecca's right about the JFK museum, especially since the Andy and Jackie exhibit is gone. The guy who runs and archives the conspiracy museum (just a couple blocks walk away) is awesome and will talk to you about anything you want to know. But you do have to go to Dealy Plaza and stand on the X and the grassy knoll and look all around at the buildings and the landscape. You'll never forget it, I promise.

P.S. Fuckin HI! Rebecca
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:40 pm

P.S. Fuckin HI! Rebecca
P.P.S.
Fuckin HI Rebecca from me, too!

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:42 pm

and stand on the X.. and look all around at the buildings and the landscape. You'll never forget it, I promise.
Just don't look too long. That X is cursed!!!

Well, maybe not cursed. But it is in a busy road.

Steveums
Mr. Leotard

Postby Steveums » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:38 pm

YES YES YES and you must go to the Lakewood Neighborhood Independence Day Parade on the 4th of July. It goes down one of the nicest, friendliest streets in town, and there's usually an all-afternoon party with pitchers of mimosas and mojitos in one of the homes of the rich Dallas Yippie DemFams that fill that area with joy.
That sounds really fun! I'd love to do that.
And Rebecca's right about the JFK museum, especially since the Andy and Jackie exhibit is gone. The guy who runs and archives the conspiracy museum (just a couple blocks walk away) is awesome and will talk to you about anything you want to know. But you do have to go to Dealy Plaza and stand on the X and the grassy knoll and look all around at the buildings and the landscape. You'll never forget it, I promise.
Yeah, i'd quite like to see it. We spent loads of time covering it when i was fourteen, and it really riled me up :)
P.S. Fuckin HI! Rebecca
I dun tole that bitch that this place was happenin'.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:21 pm

...go to Harry Hines Blvd. if you want to see some el grosso strippers or if you want some cheap crap for souvenirs...
Dallas is actually known for the quality of its strippers. I would suggest a greasy breakfast at The Mecca on Harry Hines Blvd, where you can see them gettting something to eat after work. It is tragi-comic.

Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:59 am

Fuckin HI to y'all too.

P.S. Who is Sporker?

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:01 am

Michael Turner.

- Mere "the heart of the choir, 2001-2004" 1975

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:01 am

mere, just noticed friends reference in your sig. i love you.

can i come stay with you on whore island?

dal "are michael and sam allowed to visit us there?" ya

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”