MOMA - Richard Serra

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

squeezle
original hater

Postby squeezle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:01 pm

i have always really liked jasper johns.
"Hope is for sissies"-House

Mere "hope deserves money" 1975

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:04 pm

well it wasn't white paint on canvas...it appeared to be just canvas. still crap attempt at art imo.

Sorry sam, didn't bother to catch the 'artist's' name...I should have, but I was too busy complainig about the wall hanging and why they'd let it take up valuable space.

i did see the urinal piece tho, they had that at SFMOMA...made me laugh. I might not call it art, but I did call it funny. wondered what idiot might try and pee in it...there's always one, don't think for a second there's not.

I need to go back to SFMOMA soon because they've got a Matisse exhibit on now and I have to see it before it goes.

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:45 pm

i really like rothko, jasper johns, and miro. and i love picasso, especially his sculptures. i cant even find a pic of them because his paintings are so much more famous.

I also really like Klee who is most famous for this type of painting:

I like all the art that has a sense of humor, that's why I like Chris Johnason. He had an exhibit at Steph's gallery and that's how I heard ofhim (therefore he is still alive, duh). I also really like the piece painted by Dan Perjovschi. He basically doodled/grafittied a wall at MOMA with really funny drawings like this one:

A lot of current art is really funny, which suits me. I dont like when artists take themselves too seriously. i'm also getting a lot more into sculpture than I used to be. I LOOOOOVE Rodin. the Met has a bunch of his sculptures and I could spend ages looking at them.

Today we are going to the Guggenheim and the Museum of Sex so I'll let you know if anything blows my mind.
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:35 pm

oooo I was just looking at the museum of sex website this morning...um yeah cuz I'm heading to NYC and um I want to check things out is all.

Let me know if it's worth checking out. Cuz my list of things to do is already way too long and I only just started building it for my Oct. trip.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:30 pm

well it wasn't white paint on canvas...it appeared to be just canvas. still crap attempt at art imo.

Sorry sam, didn't bother to catch the 'artist's' name...I should have, but I was too busy complainig about the wall hanging and why they'd let it take up valuable space.

i did see the urinal piece tho, they had that at SFMOMA...made me laugh. I might not call it art, but I did call it funny. wondered what idiot might try and pee in it...there's always one, don't think for a second there's not.

I need to go back to SFMOMA soon because they've got a Matisse exhibit on now and I have to see it before it goes.
I mention him because he did a large canvas in the mid 60s that is composed of entirely of pinpoint dots of primary colors that are randomly distributed but equally spaced. The idea is that the whole thing will appear white at first glance because the dots sort of "cancel" each other out. If you stop and look at it for a little while, your mind can't keep up the cancelling and it starts to sort of modulate and get all funky. I've never seen it in person and it can't be reproduced very easily.

Dogatron

Postby Dogatron » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:05 pm

I want to see the pics of the famous baby and the famous watering can.
The best things in life are truely free
Singing birds and laughing bees
You got me wrongs says he
The sun don't shine in your TV

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:07 pm

hmmm, from where I stood, it lookd just like a plain white canvas. However, that would be interesting. I'll check next time I go (which will be soon methinks).

Dalya
hipster

Postby Dalya » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:51 pm

we didn't end up going to the sex museum because it closes kind of early and is sorta expensive ($16) so we didn't want to go for just an hour when it costs that much.

Today I went to the Met and looked at the Clyfford Still paintings for a long time. He's great. Definitely go to the Met, Jackie, and look at the modern art, sculpture room (there are a bunch of Rodins), and the medival art (if youre into that). The Met also usually has really good temporary exhibits and it's cheap. There's a "recommended" donation, which means you can pay $0.01.

Also check out the MOMA. The Whitney and the Guggenheim are good if the exhibitions are good, but not worth the money otherwise.

I'm going to the Natural History Museum on Sunday, so I'll let you know if it's worth the trip.

Clyfford Still painting:
I myself am hell;
nobody’s here—

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 pm

cool, thanks for the tips!

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”