holy career, batman

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

katie

holy career, batman

Postby katie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:36 pm

i am doing a show (the tempest) this season with a shakespeare company i work with a lot. we're performing in boston(ish), and it's got a four, possibly five week run. i just got a call from the stage manager of said show, who said they are taking it to new york in september. i.e., this little show is moving off-broadway. and they want to keep the cast and crew the same. she said specifically they want to take me.

there is so much to consider with this. i would have to join the union to do it, which is this big giant can of worms i'm not sure i'll be wanting to open at 24. i would be living in nyc for up to three months. i believe they would pay for my housing as well as give me a salary. i would have an off-broadway show on my resume. i could just say fuck it, and stay in the city and be a theater cliche.

i have no idea what to do. bop bop bop.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

James

Postby James » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 pm

I met someone last month that lives around where I do that has never been to London. They're my age, and they've never been. Keep in mind I live maybe 30 miles from London city centre. Half hour on the train. They're 33, and have never been.

Dunno where I'm going with this really, but you gotta do what your gut tells you. Me, I'm an adventurer by heart, so I know what I'd do...but in the end, gotta go with your gut instincts.

Don't overthink union stuff. If it's anything like a musicians union, the hassle it causes gets far outweighed by the doors it opens, people you meet, and opportunities that come along...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:50 pm

i'd say go for it. sounds fucking awesome.
n_n

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:52 pm

I love The Tempest and I agree with Phyllis.
formerly known as valentine (and who lives in WEST Fort Worth)

monet2u

Re: holy career, batman

Postby monet2u » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:51 pm

i am doing a show (the tempest) this season with a shakespeare company i work with a lot. we're performing in boston(ish), and it's got a four, possibly five week run. i just got a call from the stage manager of said show, who said they are taking it to new york in september. i.e., this little show is moving off-broadway. and they want to keep the cast and crew the same. she said specifically they want to take me.

there is so much to consider with this. i would have to join the union to do it, which is this big giant can of worms i'm not sure i'll be wanting to open at 24. i would be living in nyc for up to three months. i believe they would pay for my housing as well as give me a salary. i would have an off-broadway show on my resume. i could just say fuck it, and stay in the city and be a theater cliche.

i have no idea what to do. bop bop bop.
NYC is AWESOME...just spent last week there. If they're gonna pay you and your rent GO FOR IT! You'll have so much fun. We saw Xanadu when we were there. Now, I know it's a crap movie, but I have to say the play was FUN! we had seats on the stage...weird, but I gather loads of more plays are starting to do this. They sort of work you into the play which is way more fun then sitting on the floor. The actors were sometimes in our laps (almost). Cutest gay boys you've ever seen. :lol:

I <3 NYC. I want to go back already! Good sites, food, bars, everything.

squeezle
original hater

Postby squeezle » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:25 pm

super duper exciting
"Hope is for sissies"-House

Mere "hope deserves money" 1975

katie

Postby katie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:53 pm

i appreciate all the support, guys. makes me really happy. i have obviously a lot to consider and i want to get more details from the stage manager before i make any real decision. i don't have to give my official answer for a while, so i have a little time to talk to people i respect in the industry as to what direction my career can go after that point.

but i'm leaning towards yes. pretty heavily. my plans for the fall were going to be grad school, but i think i'll have a better shot at getting into an amazing graduate program with some off-broadway experience under my belt. we'll see.
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Irock

Postby Irock » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:55 pm

If you don't go I'll hate you a little.

i "swear to K I'm going there some day." rock
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:05 pm

If you don't go I'll hate you a little.

i "swear to K I'm going there some day." rock
last week was my first time there...I still can't believe it took me that long. So I know how you feel Sunny. GET THERE SOON!!!!

katie

Postby katie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:09 pm

i've been to nyc a bunch of times. on account of the proximity. i'm really just worried about getting into the union and being too inexperienced to get union work because i'm a young'in.

ka"boston is the best city evar, but nyc comes pretttyyyyy damn close"tie
dread stuff

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:21 am

If not now, when? I fail to see the down side of this opportunity.

Off-Broadway! That's just the shits, kid.

Sy "youth is SO wasted on the young" bil
Are you on the list?

roach

Postby roach » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:17 pm

If not now, when? I fail to see the down side of this opportunity.
i'm really just worried about getting into the union and being too inexperienced to get union work because i'm a young'in.
I'm in the go camp.

James

Postby James » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm in the go camp.
Yeah! It worked for Guster, it can work for you! Only downside is those damn Yankees...and Jets...and Giants..meh, who cares about any of their sports teams....
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm in the go camp.
Yeah! It worked for Guster, it can work for you! Only downside is those damn Yankees...and Jets...and Giants..meh, who cares about any of their sports teams....
anyway it's all about the roller derby!

BAY BOMBERS BABY!!!!!

(yes I went to the championship match last night....and we KICKED SOME ASS!!!!)

froggorino

Postby froggorino » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:15 am

dooooooo it!

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”