David Seforkingdaris

Where the action is

Moderator: aquaphase

mere1975

David Seforkingdaris

Postby mere1975 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:06 am

Irock and I have talked about attending this. Now I know that I will not have class that night. I want to goooooooooooo!

- Mere "anyone else?" 1975

David Sedaris
Tuesday, April 25, 7:30 p.m.

Majestic Theatre
1925 Elm St., Downtown Dallas

Tickets for this event range from $26 to $61 and are only available through ticketmaster.com or from the Majestic Theatre box office in person or by calling 214-373-8000.

Proceeds benefit Arts & Letters Live through the Kay Cattarulla Endowment for the Literary and Performing Arts.

David Sedaris may well be the closest thing the literary world has these days to a rock star—his speaking engagements are now consistently standing-room only. Sedaris made his comic debut in 1992 when National Public Radio began broadcasting his “SantaLand Diaries,” wry commentaries about his job as a Macy’s Christmas elf clad in green tights. The great skill with which Sedaris slices through cultural euphemisms and political correctness proves that he is a master of satire and one of the most observant writers addressing the human condition today.

Barrel Fever and Holidays on Ice, as well as his collections of personal essays, Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day, became immediate bestsellers. He is a regular contributor to the New Yorker, GQ, and Esquire, and his original radio pieces can often be heard on This American Life. David and his sister Amy Sedaris have collaborated under the name “The Talent Family” and have written several plays.

In 2001 David Sedaris became the third recipient of the Thurber Prize for American Humor, and Time magazine named him “Humorist of the Year.” “These hilarious, lively and breathtakingly irreverent stories . . . made me laugh out loud more than anything I've read in years," wrote Francine Prose in the Washington Post Book World. Sedaris has been compared to American humorists such as Mark Twain, James Thurber, and Dorothy Parker; Publishers Weekly called him "Garrison Keillor's evil twin."

Sedaris will read from new and unpublished material at this event.

“I write about a common experience of being lost or a stranger.”
—David Sedaris

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:25 pm

My question is this: If David Sedaris really is Garrison Keilor's evil twin, will they end up locked in an endless inter-dimensional fued?

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:59 pm

Kirk asks Spock for a hypothesis on Lazarus's behavior and Spock concludes that Lazarus's enemy is himself, an "anti-Lazarus", possibly from another dimension, an "anti-matter" dimension, and there may in fact be two of them running around. If Lazarus and his anti-self manage to destroy each other, it could spell doom for both universes. Spock also explains an "anti-matter universe" is only theory and no one has ever found proof of it.
How high were they when thay had THAT conversation??

- Mere "Duuuude, he's like the anti-Lazarus, but the theory is so far out that no one can prove it, man" 1975

Irock

Postby Irock » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:12 pm

Meee.

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Will you fly me home to Texas and take me for my birthday?
Jealous, part deux.

Sounds AWESOME :D

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am

If you haven't already gotten your tickets, it is sold out.

We missed the boat and are now sad :(

Luckily, I stumbled across Bill Maher on April 15.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:04 pm

If you haven't already gotten your tickets, it is sold out.

We missed the boat and are now sad :(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It's my punishment for being too slow. :(

- Mere "Sunny, Sam and I are seeing Ira Glass this Sunday though -- he'll have to do" 1975

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 pm

Sunny, Sam and I are seeing Ira Glass this Sunday though -- he'll have to do
Yes, ack two, in person.

Return to “Events”