Where the action is

Moderator: aquaphase

eebs

all your sports belong to us....

Postby eebs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:37 pm

first gridiron, now hockey....

NHL rivals set to meet in London

Greenwich's 0² Arena looks set to host the exhibition games
The NHL will play regular-season games in Europe for the first time when the Anaheim Ducks face the LA Kings in London to open the 2007-08 campaign.
The teams will play two games, on 29 and 30 September, at London's new O2 Arena, formerly the Millennium Dome.

London's Wembley Arena was the site of pre-season NHL games in 1992 and 1993.

The NBA recently announced that the Boston Celtics and Minnesota Timberwolves will play a pre-season game later this year at the 02 Arena.

"This a great honour for us, to be chosen to play in the NHL's first regular-season games in Europe," Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke said.

"Showcasing a great rivalry between two clubs from the Southern California market will be terrific for the NHL."

eebs

Postby eebs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:52 pm

http://www.theo2.co.uk/web/guest/whatson

tickets onsale now - cheapest hockey tickets are 25 quid, cheapest nba tickets (celtics v timberwolves) are 15 quid each. anyone else interested?

eebs

Postby eebs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 pm

ok - hockey booked for the sunday :D

5pm start so no mad rush for last trains etc, think a leisurely lunch somewhere will be in order.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 am

seems to be a lot of importing of USA sporting teams to a country that loves to mock us about that very thing.

but have fun eebs...I'm not bothered even when they play over here. :lol:

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:41 am

Try to get there in time to see the warm-ups. That's my favorite part!

- Mere "crazy fast figure 8s and shots on goal!" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Irock

Postby Irock » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Wouldn't this thread title be more accurate if it said, "all your sports want some of our big, juicey Brittish Pounds?"

"Mmmm, pounds!"
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:56 pm

It would be more attractive if their was some real tradition between the teams, besides shootings on the I-5.

The NHL took such a step back with their latest stoppage that I'm not sure they can be counted as a major sport anymore, at least in relation to the US market.

All that said, seeing an NHL game in person is still one of the most entertaining sporting experiences there is.

eebs

Postby eebs » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Wouldn't this thread title be more accurate if it said, "all your sports want some of our big, juicey Brittish Pounds?"

"Mmmm, pounds!"
probably!

James

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:08 am

It would be more attractive if their was some real tradition between the teams, besides shootings on the I-5.

The NHL took such a step back with their latest stoppage that I'm not sure they can be counted as a major sport anymore, at least in relation to the US market.

All that said, seeing an NHL game in person is still one of the most entertaining sporting experiences there is.
I thought they did a world of good for the game with the changes that opened the ice up and allowed more goal-scoring. The game of the late 90's - early 00's was just crap overall. If they would have done that without the work stoppage, they'd be killing it now, but you know, greed makes people see things funny...

Speaking of work stoppages, I hope baseball has learned their lesson, but it appears that they continue to bury their heads in the sand. It's such a shame because it is a wonderful game, but how can anybody care when players are complaining about pay but getting ahead by juicing up? Well, if they're not juicing the players, they're juicing the balls, so...

The NBA is coming over here as well but sending two of the worst team: Minnesota Timberwolves and the Boston Celtics. Now granted, Minnesota has Kevin Garnet (maybe they won't by then) and the Celtics have Paul Pierce (maybe they won't by then) but still...send someone worth a crap...

I still haven't heard back from the NFL thing; I think all of the men in my wife's family are interested in attending. I've already told them they have to root for the Dolphins though...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

eebs

Postby eebs » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:32 pm

the website says April for the NFL game so should be soon.

Return to “Events”